Friday, 29 August 2008
Thursday, 28 August 2008
Wednesday, 27 August 2008
You just got to love the creatures lipstick look (below):
Love this poster(below). Really want to frame it.
" A beautiful woman by day, a lusting queen wasp by night"
Tuesday, 26 August 2008
I seem to have picked up the infamous "travelling flu bug" (It apparently hides in planes and hotel air conditioners and is a distant relative of the friendlier "travel bug") .
Now all I really want to do is sleep for a couple of days. I doubt my boss would be pleased with me if i did. At the moment i am operating on zombie mode and making grunting sounds to answer questions. Its not really very attractive..lol
I finally got all my study materials yesterday. The books came in a much bigger box than i expected. When i opened the box I almost had a mini anxiety attack as i realised it was actually full of books ( i was hoping for lots of bubble wrap). I feel a little anxious about studying after so many years....but no time like the present to see if i can do this.
Lunch today should be interesting as i am going to solve a little mystery: Is chinese food good on the second day? I'm hoping the answer is yes, or I may just feel a little worse as the day goes on.
Monday, 25 August 2008
*Going across the Dubai Creek in a "Abra" (This is what the locals call the tiny boats that ferry you across -see picture above)
* Shopping at the Souks (AKA bazaars or markets)
* Learning that i am very good at haggling over prices. You may call me "The Negotiator"
* Actually handling the insane humidity. I am so much more hardcore than i thought ;-)
* Having hundreds of movies to choose from on the Emirates flights. Such a great airline.
* Finding the best swimsuit and buying it. Its a tiny weeny yellow polka dot bikini.I kid you not.
* The spacious apartment we got to stay in for the first three nights.
* Smoking a mint & grape Sheesha (AKA Hubbly bubbly) at a gorgeous Arabic restaurant.
* Desert dune bashing in a 4 x 4. whoohooo...no dune was big enough.
* Getting a Henna tattoo during the desert dinner - I want to paint my body with Henna more often.
* Sharing all the new sights, sounds and experiences with The Boyf. He was a great travel companion. Lows -
* The very small hotel room we got for the last 2 nights and if the size wasnt bad enough, it looked out on a graveyard. Weird.
* Being sweaty and red faced 90% of the time. Its not my best look.
* Eating "Marry Brown" (not a spelling mistake) fast food. Dont do it...ever! yuck.
* Realising I will never have a really good hair day in the crazy humid heat.
* Not being able to get close enough to the Burj Al Arab (the worlds only 7 star hotel)
* The organised city tour. Tour groups freak me out.
* Flying. Why couldnt I just be beamed to other countries. Scotty? Why?
* The shopping malls - a mall is a mall....I found the malls very boring and the shops much too expensive.
* Not being able to buy everything awesome I saw :) If I were a rich man..dee deee dee dee.
* Only having 4 full days in Dubai. I definitely wanted a few more days.
* Sore feet. Hours of walking didnt make my feet happy.
All in all it was a really good trip with plenty of great memories and lots more highs than lows. I would like to go back to Dubai one day to see some more things.
Sunday, 24 August 2008
How was my trip? It was fabulous.
On second thoughts the use of the word "fabulous" is a horrid description of my trip. I think "humid, sweaty, interesting, cultural, feet blistering and exciting" is a far better answer.
I seriously could type an essay about my trip to Dubai (and I probably will), but not today. I am still feeling the effects of the last 4 days (too little sleep, too much walking and what felt like a whole day of flying yesterday).
Right now, I am off to unpack my bag and after that I shall pass out on the nearest soft surface.
Saturday, 16 August 2008
I probably wont be blogging while i am away, but i will be sure to share stories and photos with y'all when i get back.
If you start to suffer from withdrawels because you need a daily fix of my blogging medicine (hey, it could happen. lol) feel free to check out some of my older posts.
Have a brilliant week! :)
Thursday, 14 August 2008
Ok, I knew no good would come from eating those cupcakes and sweet donuts yesterday...but really does the punishment fit the crime? I think not.
Grrrrrrrrr..Now i have to go to the dentist tomorrow for a filling (hopefully that all it will take to fix it). I can already hear the horrible drilling sound in my head. Arggh, this would happen to me days before my holiday.
Damn you, yummy baked goods....looking all sweet and innocent...Once i give into your charms you attack my pearly whites...you evil little cavity creators....Oh, I wish i knew how to quit you.
Now i am going to go feel sorry for myself and drink my sugar-free tea.
Wednesday, 13 August 2008
Tuesday, 12 August 2008
"The pen-tailed tree shrew drinks the beer-like fermented nectar of the flowers of the bertram's palm in such quantities that the equivalent amount of alcohol would cause a human to collapse in a drunken stupor, say the scientists from Bayreuth University in Germany
..... each night, pen-tailed tree shrews drink copiously of the palm's high-powered nectar. In fact, the tree shrews go on a natural-palm-beer binge that lasts two and a half hours on average per night.
Amazingly, the German scientists said there was little evidence that the tree shrews consumed anything but this powerful nectar. And they showed no signs of inebriation or hangover despite their nightly binges. "
Apparently this shrew may hold the answer to creating the ultimate hangover cure :-)
To read the full story click here.
Friday, 8 August 2008
Thursday, 7 August 2008
Wednesday, 6 August 2008
Monday, 4 August 2008
I finally went to see The Dark Knight last night. Let me just start off by saying I did go in with high expectations, with all the hype and tragedy surrounding this film how could I not have. Thankfully the movie did not dissapoint me, it was absolutely brilliant.
From the moment it began I realised that the Dark Knight was not going to be a "child friendly" film. This film makes the previous Joker look cartoonish and amusing . The best way I can explain the difference is: If Jack Nicholson's Joker danced with the devil in the pale moonlight, Heather Ledgers Joker would have been the devil.
Shocking, disturbing, twisted, insane, psychotic, sick....there are so many words to describe the Joker in the film. His perfomance was brilliant. Ledger completely tranformed himself into the insane joker. I struggled to recognise Ledger under the smeared makeup, scarred grin and wicked expressions.
The all star cast was very impressive. Christian Bale was once again a great choice for Batman. Aaron Eckhart was ok as the upstanding Harvey Dent and later the vengeful Two-face. Heath Ledger was oscar-worthy. I was, however, surprised that Maggie Gyllenhaal was chosen as the female lead.
The movie didn't have the ending I expected (or wanted), but it had the ending the film had to have....a dark one.